October is Fire Prevention Month. Usually, due to cooler weather, heaters are turned on and it's the start of the holiday season. The chances of a house fire increase during this time due to cooking, decorations, space heaters and candles. During this season fire safety is always important!
Here are a few tips for you and your family to stay safe during the holiday season (and year-round).
Never leave your kitchen unattended or turn off the burner until you are able to return. Always remember if you do have a kitchen grease fire never use water to try and extinguish it, use a pot lid to smother the flames instead. Candles smell good but can be a fire hazard. Keep burning candles in your sight, always use the correct candle holder and never burn near anything that can catch fire.
Decorating your house for Christmas is always fun but remember to only use indoor lights when decorating the inside of your home and inspect the strands of lights before use. If you have any lights that are frayed or broken replace with a new strand. Unplug Christmas lights before leaving your home. Make sure fake trees are flame retardant, and all natural trees are watered regularly. If needles start dropping from the tree, that is a sign the tree is dried out and highly flammable.
Always make sure you have working smoke alarms. Keep a dry/foam fire extinguisher in your kitchen. Plan Fire Safety exits with your family, so everyone exits safety if something does happen to you.
Kitchen fire safety is always important when cooking to help prevent a devastating fire in your home.
I am going to explain a few things to look for and do so you can prevent a kitchen fire in your home in hopes that it will prevent your family from needing a kitchen fire cleanup in your home.
Let's start with your range hood. A fire can definitely start with your range hood. Clean the under part of your range hood so there is no stuck on thick grease. Always change the filter regularly.
Do you own a dry chemical fire extinguisher? Dry chemical fire extinguishers are handy to have, they will work on grease, plastic, and electrical fires. Its always a good idea to have one on hand just in case that situation arises.
Never leave your kitchen unattended especially cooking with high heat. Leaving your stove unattended is the most cause for kitchen fires. You never know what will happen within seconds until it happens to you. Try to keep potholder and towels far away from stove, those will easily catch on fire also.
It’s important to keep grilling fire safety tips in mind, to avoid a disaster that can ruin your day in a flash!
Whether you are grilling at home or at a campsite, it’s important to keep Grilling Fire Safety in mind. Check out the safety tips listed below to keep you and your family safe from fire injuries or damage to your home!
• Charcoal and Propane BBQ grills should only be used outdoors and never inside your home.
• Place your grill far away from the home, deck railings and overhanging branches.
• Clean your grill regularly by removing grease or fat buildup from the grills and in the trays below.
• Never leave your grill unattended and keep children and pets away from grill area.
Never go to bed or leave your house until you are sure that the fire is completely out. Wind can also be a dangerous factor in contributing to the spread of fire. Keep a bucket of water or a fire extinguisher handy in the event your grill does catch on fire. Fire is one of the most devastating events that can occur to a homeowner. The effects can be costly and dangerous to the occupants of the home.
Sage Restoration are experts in cleaning contents or homes that have experienced fire and smoke damage. Call us if you have a need for our services as we work with all insurance carriers!
>> more articles