Collecting Versus Compulsive Hoarding
What is the difference between collecting versus compulsive hoarding? The factors below help distinguish between the two:
People who collect stamps, model cars, trains etc. deliberately search out specific items.
Even if collections are large they aren’t usually cluttered and do not disrupt them from leading a normal life in their home.
Symptoms of Compulsive Hoarding:
1. Compulsive hoarding affects around 700,000 – 1.4 million Americans
2. Compulsion to hoard often begins in young adulthood
3. Hoarding can be hereditary and often runs in families
4. Compulsive hoarding can be a form of OCD (Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder)
5. Many hoarders fear throwing the wrong item out so hang onto everything versus the belief that they simply want to collect items
6. Many do not think they have a problem and don’t see how it seriously impacts their life.
7. A traumatic event can trigger someone to start hoarding.
Many hoarders that we helped over the years is so very thankful when they decide to take that step and hire Sage Restoration to help them sort things out. Many times our specialty clean up clients have told us that we have saved their life! That means the world to us because our goal is to get your life back on track and have you living in a clean and healthy home again!
If you or a loved one exhibit symptoms of hoarding call us for an estimate. We care about getting your home back to a healthy condition!
>> more articles