If you are one of many people who are using bleach to clean mold, you need to read this article. Bleach is NOT an effective product to clean up surface mold. It may be a good bathroom cleaner and effective at killing bacteria and viruses, but is not registered with the EPA as a disinfectant to kill mold. To effectively clean and remove mold you need to “kill” it’s root system. Water is one of the main contributors to mold growth and because bleach is 99% water it basically adds water to the root of mold. Due to the iconic structure of bleach it prevents chlorine from penetrating into porous materials such as drywall and wood so it just stays on the exterior of the surface where mold has enzyme roots growing into the porous materials. The water then penetrates and feeds the mold so in a few days you have visible mold again. If you have more than a 10 square feet area of mold it’s best to consult with a professional mold remediation company such as Sage Restoration to find out what the best cleaning options are to effectively clean and remove the mold from your home. If you are dealing with an area less than 10 sf in size or you want to attempt to clean it yourself, the best products to use instead of bleach are: vinegar and water solution, hydrogen peroxide from the drug store or a simple borax and water solution.
Remember do not use bleach!