You may be shocked to know that smoke and fire damage caused by appliances is a very common occurrence. Sage Restoration has responded to many homes that have caught fires caused by appliances a family uses every day such as: toasters, dryers, microwaves, space heaters. While these appliances can make our lives easier they can pose a significant fire risk if they are not maintained or used properly. It’s important to keep your appliances in good working order and using them properly.
We have performed fire and smoke restoration for home fires caused by a faulty toaster plugin, laundry set to close to a space heater, a Christmas Reindeer that wasn’t unplugged from an exterior outlet and heavy wind caused the electrical cord to spark and catch the siding of the house on fire, a cigarette carelessly not extinguished properly thus starting the house on fire. Please don’t let these things happen to your home and family. Also make sure that your home has working smoke alarms and also has an escape route for your family in case of a fire.
Below are some helpful tips to help prevent an appliance fire in your home:
1. Never use an extension cord as permanent wiring.
2. Replace or fix appliances or lamps that spark.
3. Don’t overload extension cords and regularly check them to make sure plastic is not worn away.
4. Keep appliances away from wet areas, especially in the kitchen and bathrooms.
5. If an appliance is a 3 prong don’t force it into a 2 prong outlet, utilize an adaptor plug instead.