Don't forget to unplug your Christmas lights! Here's what happend to one of our customers.
The husband put up a beautiful display of oudoor Christmas lights, including several lit up reindeer on the lawn. Wife says "Honey, please be sure to uplug the outdoor lights before you go to bed. " Husband agrees and continues working on his project. Husband gets tired and goes to bed. That night the wind was especially strong. Husband woke up around 3am and smelled smoke. He jumped out of bed to see what was going on, only to find the front of the house on fire. He called 911 and immediately got everyone out of the house safely.
Guess what caused the fire? The fire department traced the fire back to a faulty plug that powered the reindeer lights. The strong winds knocked over the reindeer and the cord unplugged from the outlet, causing sparks to fly which caught the reindeer on fire which caught the house on fire. (Yes, the exact plug he was asked to unplug earlier that evening. #majormanfail)
Moral to the story: Always do what your wife tells you to do (just kidding). Aways be sure the cords to your lights are not frayed or faulty and unplug them at night.
Even if you already put up Christmas lights, it wouldn't hurt to take a second look. Follow these safety tips from Sage Restoration and a local electrician. Home fires during the holiday season are avoidable as long as you don't make a couple of mistakes.