Last week, we learned of the unfortunate and horrific death of a 3-year-old Pennsylvania girl due to a house fire caused by a hoverboard. A multiple-alarm fire broke out in her home and officials traced the blaze to a hoverboard that caught fire while plugged in to an electrical socket on home’s first floor.
While fires caused by hoverboards are rare and this is the first fatality of its kind, it’s important to note that the charging aspect is what causes the fires. Whether it’s a hoverboard, smartphone, laptop or any electronic device, make sure you take the necessary precautions.
When shopping for a self-balancing scooter or hoverboard:
When charging your self-balancing scooter or hoverboard:
When operating your self-balancing scooter or hoverboard:
1) Wear appropriate safety equipment; similar to when riding a bicycle.
2) Do not text or operate a cell phone while using a self-balancing scooter or hoverboard.
3) Operate the device in accordance with its intended use.
4) Overheating - if you notice the device is very hot, stop using it and check with your manufacturer or retailer. This could suggest a faulty battery that needs replacing.
If you do experience a house fire of any kind, contact the professionals for clean-up. House fires are stressful and ones where there is a fatality are unimaginable. You have enough to worry about. Let us take the stress out of the mess. #ServiceWithCompassion