No one wants to experience a house fire. Fires are among the most dangerous and destructive disasters that can happen to a home. Fortunately, homeowners can drastically reduce their risk of experiencing a fire with responsible behavior. Cooking, candles, bad electronics, and malfunctioning appliances that generate heat such as dryers and furnaces are among the most common causes of house fires. Many homeowners take the right precautions to avoid home fires when cooking or using these objects.
However, your fire prevention effort should not stop there. In our first installment of the Fire at Home series, we took a look at how glass and sunlight can cause a fire. This article covers another unlikely, but devastating cause of house fires – dishwashers.
Many homeowners are already aware of the potential for their appliances to start a fire. One appliance that may be overlooked in this regard is the dishwasher. The dishwasher does not generate heat like a furnace or hot water heater, but it does use water that can cause an electrical fire if it drips onto your internal components. You can prevent fires caused by the dishwasher by keeping it well maintained and having it inspected at least once per year.
Although dishwasher fires are not the most common appliance-related fires, they can still occur due to poor maintenance, improper usage, electrical problems or faulty components. A primary cause of dishwasher fires is moisture contacting the wires, so dishwasher owners should make sure internal components don’t leak, and perform regular checks at least once a year. Here are more tips for preventing dishwasher fires:
In our line of work, we see many house fires and many of those that could have been prevented. Please make sure to check your appliances! But, in the event you do experience a house fire due to a dishwasher malfunction or improper use, contact the experts at Sage Restoration! #ServiceWithCompassion
Our next installment in our Fire at Home series will cover the dangers that 9-Volt batteries present and how you can prevent a fire caused by them.