Cooking fires increase during the holidays. The reasons for this are due to:
1. More time is spent cooking
2. People use their fireplaces more often
3. There is an increase of candles burning
4. Increase of electrical fires due to Christmas lights or space heaters
Below are some tips to help keep your family safe from a home fire.
1. Greases fires are hard to put out and can spread quickly. Never use water to put out a grease fire use a pot lid or fire extinguisher to smother the fire instead.
2. Never place items on the stove without first checking that a burner is on. Many times fires are started when people are unaware a burner is still on and innocently set something on the stove.
3. Keep pot holders free from burners and cook foods at lower temperatures to avoid excessive spattering or burning of the food itself.
4. Never leave the kitchen when you have something cooking on the burner.
5. Have a dry or foam fire extinguisher in your kitchen. Check the expiration date to be sure it is current.
In the event you suffer a home fire it’s important that you hire a professional that knows the proper steps to take to effectively clean and remove the smoke odor from the structure and contents.