Christmas Tree safety and fire prevention is important this time of year. An increase of house fires occur when families decorate for the holidays. While holiday lighting is beautiful and helps to add to the holiday season, caution should be used when it comes to decorating your home inside or out. Whether your family has a real tree or an artificial tree, the tips below can keep your family and home safe this holiday season:
Make sure all lights/extension cords are UL-Listed and rated for indoor or outdoor use as applicable. It’s also important to use the correct size of extension cord for the size of job at hand.
Inspect all cords for any exposed wires or broken bulbs and replace any cords that are frayed or broken and replace any broken bulbs.
Place your tree near an outlet to avoid having to use long extension cords as long extension cords can be a trip hazard.
When replacing bulbs make sure you are using the same watts, if it has higher watts it can over heat and catch on fire.
When using a real tree make sure it is fresh and you keep it watered daily, so it does not dry out.
Always unplug your lights when leaving your home or going to bed.
In addition to Christmas trees many other items in your home can be a source of fire as well. Keep you eye on candles, space heaters and the stove while cooking. These are common culprits of house fires.
Sage Restoration is a local company that located in the Kansas City area and has the knowledge and expertise to help you out in the event you experience smoke or fire damage in your property. More importantly, Sage Technicians are trained to approach each job with a sense of urgency combined with care and compassion!