You’ve heard the term black mold, but what does it mean? How is it caused and what can you do to ensure the safety of you and your family? Any type of mold in a home can cause serious health issues but one of the most dangerous types is Stachybotrys chartarum (black mold).
Although black mold can be found almost anywhere in a home, the basement is particularly susceptible to its sneaky growth. This is due to the prime conditions that are present in either an unfinished or a finished basement.
Is there mold in your house?
Any area that has a high moisture content, poor ventilation, and is dark can be a breeding ground for black mold. It feeds on material such as wood, fiberboard, gypsum board, and paper. A basement is also often more neglected than other parts of the house, which allows the mold a longer period to grow undetected.
Do You Have a Black Mold Problem?
Your family has experienced health issues.
Health symptoms commonly associated with mold exposure range from mild allergy symptoms to severe respiratory issues. Mild symptoms include a cough, sore throat, and runny nose. Those with asthma may notice increased difficulty breathing with signs such as wheezing or shortness of breath. Severe symptoms include headaches and bleeding in the nose or lungs.
There is a distinct mold smell.
If you have smelled hints of mold, but you cannot find the mold, check the walls, basement, attic, or HVAC system. Be aware of where you smell mold the most. If the smell grows stronger in certain rooms or when the heater or cooler turns on, tell your mold removal experts. These experts will begin in these areas first.
You have seen mold in your house.
Though mold may be hard to locate, your clearest sign of mold will be when you can see it. Mold is usually found in damp areas like the bathroom and basement. If you see traces of mold in these areas, or other water damaged areas of the house, be on the lookout for more. Often, mold extends beyond the areas that are visible. Hiring a mold removal expert is the only way to detect areas in your house where there may be elevated levels of mold present and remove it.
There have been water leaks and humidity.
If your house has recently experienced water damage, leaky areas, or increased humidity, then you are at risk for mold growth. Even without the previous signs, you should still be aware of the damage that increased moisture can do to your house and property. By working with a damage restoration company at the first signs of water damage, you can limit the potential for mold, thereby ensuring the safety and wellness of your family.
Although there are methods that can be used by the do-it-yourself home owner, it is best to contact a mold removal specialist. Our specialists at Sage Restoration have been trained to root out the source of the contamination and to properly remediate it. Our professionals will remove the black mold that is visible and search for any that may be hidden in ceilings, floors, and walls. The peace of mind gained from hiring a professional is well worth the money spent.
If you have a mold issue or suspect that you do, contact us today! #ServiceWithCompassion