It was the dead of winter in Kansas City and the temperatures were frigid. A realtor’s client moved out of town, leaving his vacant house on the market. The realtor had an important showing at the vacant house on Sunday so she arranged to have a repairman check on the furnace the Friday before. The repairman replaced a dead battery in the thermostat and all was set for Sunday’s showing.
Much to her surprise, when the Realtor arrived at the house, she was greeted with water spewing out the front door. Two-hundred THOUSAND gallons of water to be exact. The pipes froze due to the frigid temperatures and burst when they started to thaw out once the furnace was fixed. Water flooded every square inch of the two story house.
The team at Sage Restoration stepped right in to mitigate any further damage from the catastrophe. Utilizing their expertise in Water Damage Cleanup, they quickly extracted the water, set up proper drying equipment, removed all wet baseboards, and cut out materials affected by water that could not be salvaged. The house was thoroughly dried out so that construction could begin to restore the house back to normal and put it back on the market to sell quickly.
This is the first in a series of posts about frozen pipes. Check out the second post next week. The topic will be: Why Pipe Freezing is a Problem.
Holidays are a busy time for everyone. In the rush of the holiday happenings safety can be the last thing on your mind. These Top 10 Holiday Safety Tips from the Electrical Safety Foundation International (ESFI) provide easy reminders for keeping safe this holiday season. If you do find yourself affected by a home fire, contact the experts at Sage Restoration. #ServiceWithCompassion
1. Inspect electrical decorations for damage before use.
Cracked or damaged sockets, loose or bare wires, and loose connections
may cause a serious shock or start a fire.
2. Do not overload electrical outlets.
Overloaded electrical outlets and faulty wires are a common cause of holiday fires. Avoid overloading outlets and plug only one high-wattage appliance into each outlet at a time.
3. Never connect more than three strings of incandescent lights.
More than three strands may not only blow a fuse, but can also cause a fire.
4. Keep tree fresh by watering daily.
Dry trees are a serious fire hazard.
5. Use battery-operated candles.
Candles start almost half of home decoration fires (NFPA).
6. Keep combustibles at least three feet from heat sources.
A heat source that was too close to the decoration was a factor in half
of home fires that began with decorations. (NFPA).
7. Protect cords from damage.
To avoid shock or fire hazards, cords should never be pinched by furniture or forced into small spaces such as doors or windows, placed under rugs, located near heat sources, or attached by nails or staples.
8. Check decorations for certification label.
Decorations not bearing a label from an Independent testing laboratory such as Underwriters Laboratories (UL) or Intertek (ETL) have not been tested for safety and could be hazardous.
9. Stay in the kitchen when something is cooking.
Unattended cooking equipment is the leading cause of home cooking fires (NFPA).
10. Turn off, unplug, and extinguish all decorations when going to sleep or leaving the house. Unattended candles are the cause of one in five home candle fires. Half of home fire deaths occur between the hours of 11:00 p.m. and 7:00 a.m. (NFPA).
Don't forget to unplug your Christmas lights! Here's what happend to one of our customers.
The husband put up a beautiful display of oudoor Christmas lights, including several lit up reindeer on the lawn. Wife says "Honey, please be sure to uplug the outdoor lights before you go to bed. " Husband agrees and continues working on his project. Husband gets tired and goes to bed. That night the wind was especially strong. Husband woke up around 3am and smelled smoke. He jumped out of bed to see what was going on, only to find the front of the house on fire. He called 911 and immediately got everyone out of the house safely.
Guess what caused the fire? The fire department traced the fire back to a faulty plug that powered the reindeer lights. The strong winds knocked over the reindeer and the cord unplugged from the outlet, causing sparks to fly which caught the reindeer on fire which caught the house on fire. (Yes, the exact plug he was asked to unplug earlier that evening. #majormanfail)
Moral to the story: Always do what your wife tells you to do (just kidding). Aways be sure the cords to your lights are not frayed or faulty and unplug them at night.
Even if you already put up Christmas lights, it wouldn't hurt to take a second look. Follow these safety tips from Sage Restoration and a local electrician. Home fires during the holiday season are avoidable as long as you don't make a couple of mistakes.
If you are a deep-fried turkey enthusiast you probably already know how to safely cook the bird, however many first timers easily make mistakes that can cause serious fires.
Check out these YouTube videos on how to fry a turkey: